The mission of the Amherst Historical Society is to connect people to the town of Amherst, its history, and its culture.
The Society was founded in 1899 by Mabel Loomis Todd, and in 1916 it moved into the historic Simeon Strong house. Over the years, the Society has collected a wide variety of resources for learning about the town of Amherst. We have artifacts dating back to the earliest days of the town, and papers and photographs from more recent years. On our website you may find links to walking tours of Amherst, a list of books about Amherst, and even a collection of historic postcards.
We host a biweekly lecture series, ‘History Bites,’ as well as evening performances and historic tours. Our eighteenth-century garden is maintained by the Garden Club of Amherst, and in 2019 we hosted a Thursday evening farmers’ and artisans’ market on our front lawn.
The Amherst History Museum opened in 1916 and is governed by the Amherst Historical Society, which was founded in 1899. Housed in the 1750-era Simeon Strong House, the Amherst History Museum takes visitors on a journey from the town’s colonial past, through its industrial age and into the computer-driven present.
The Museum is filled with decorative arts, paintings, household implements, agricultural tools and other pieces of history from the nearly three hundred years since Amherst was settled. The collections range from the ordinary to the unique, and capture a sense of every day life often missing from history books. In addition to rotating exhibits and special programming, the Museum provides educational tours for school children and students throughout the year.
We regret that the Museum will be closed at least until August 1, 2021. Call 413.256.0678 for more information, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Funding from Mass Humanities has been provided in support of the Amherst History Museum through the National Endowment for the Humanities as part of the 2020 Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act of 2020. Funding from Mass Humanities has been provided through the Massachusetts Cultural Council.