The Amherst History Museum opened in 1916 and is governed by the Amherst Historical Society, which was founded in 1899. Housed in the 1750-era Simeon Strong House, the Amherst History Museum takes visitors on a journey from the town’s colonial past, through its industrial age and into the computer-driven present. The Museum is filled with decorative arts, paintings, household implements, agricultural tools and other pieces of history from the nearly three hundred years since Amherst was settled.
A glimpse into the Amherst History Museum’s permanent collection:
The Amherst History Museum is located at the Simeon Strong House,
67 Amity Street,
Amherst, MA 01002.
The Museum will be open on Saturdays from 11AM to 3PM through October.
1-DAY SKI AND WINTER GEAR SALE
Saturday, Oct. 29th, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
67 Amity Street, Amherst
Top-quality outdoor winter gear and clothing priced affordably for adults and children. Fundraiser for the Amherst History Museum.
– Upcoming Events –
Did you know that the Town of Amherst has an old growth forest in its midst? Did you know that this old growth forest is home to a Black Birch that is among the largest trees of that species in Massachusetts? This October, the Amherst History Museum is offering two hikes to look at and talk about...
Art on the Lawn at the Amherst History Museum takes place on the second Saturday of June, July, September and October; June 10, July 8, September 9 and October 14. Artists and crafters will be set up on the lawn of the museum from 11:00am to 3:00pm when the museum is open for visitors.
-- Note the earlier time -- 11:30 instead of 12 noon! -- Local author Thomas Johnson's first book, Common PLACE, is a tour de force that explores the origins of the public library system in America. While many Americans may assume that public libraries exist(ed) worldwide, this illuminating bo...
Amherst Juneteenth Observance at the Amherst History Museum on Saturday June 18, 2022.
Photo courtesy of Rebecca Fricke
Tan Brook is a little-known stream that flows right under Triangle Street and Kendrick Park. It originates from the small lake next to Wildwood Cemetery, and emerges at McClellan Street with a quiet...
In 1897, the Nashua River above the town of Clinton, Mass was impounded by the Wachusett Dam; 4,380 acres were flooded in the towns of Boylston, West Boylston, Clinton, and Sterling. Work was...
Because of Amherst's connection with the manufacture of carpenters' planes in the 19th century -- see the Nutting and Kellogg planemakers -- I was intrigued by this display, seen on a recent trip to...
The AHS Bookstore
Help support the Amherst Historical Society! Shop our online store for books that highlight the history of Amherst. Titles include:
- Amherst A to Z by Elizabeth M. Sharpe
- Amherst and Hadley Through the Seasons by Daniel Lombardi
- Harvesting History by Sheila Rainford and Ruth Owen Jones
- History of the Black Population of Amherst 1728-1870 by James Avery Smith
- The Letters of Lathrop & Pomeroy by Lucy Whitelaw Rexford
- The Writing Master, by Kitty Burns Florey
Become a volunteer
Find out how you can help. The Amherst Historical Society depends on the support of the community. We are currently looking for gardeners, educators, fundraisers, and more. Contact us for more information.
‘History Bites’–Highlights from past seasons
19th Century Spiritualism
Robert Cox – Director of Special Collections at UMass
Dec. 21, 2018