The Amherst History Museum opened in 1916 and is governed by the Amherst Historical Society, which was founded in 1899. Housed in the 1750-era Simeon Strong House, the Amherst History Museum takes visitors on a journey from the town’s colonial past, through its industrial age and into the computer-driven present. The Museum is filled with decorative arts, paintings, household implements, agricultural tools and other pieces of history from the nearly three hundred years since Amherst was settled.

Dancers at the museum

A glimpse into the Amherst History Museum’s permanent collection:

Rudge High Wheel Cycle

Rudge High Wheel Cycle (Manufactured 1870-1888). High wheel cycles were popular with young, middle-class men of the late 19th century for their speed- the bigger the wheel, the faster the cycle could go. A high wheel of this size could reach a speed of nearly 30 mph! This particular cycle was a gift from Amherst mechanic Edward Thompson to his son Herbert in 1881. High wheels were considered hazardous to the health of their riders- both because their instability (even a small rock or bump could cause the rider to fly over the handlebars and suffer a ‘header’) and physicians worry that the jarring of the hard rubber tires on unpaved roads would damage male organs.

Mabel Loomis Todd embroidered dress

This unique late-19th century dress once belonged to Mabel Loomis Todd, and was donated to the Amherst Historical Society by her daughter. Purple velvet and old gold silk, with hand-embroidered pansies, created in 1890. Look at the detail on those flowers! Unfortunately, the dress is now too fragile to be displayed as it would have been worn.

Infant's Linen Cap

This fine linen infant cap is the oldest textile in our collection. The crown and side stripes are constructed of bobbin lace, a type of lace created by braiding and twisting thread held in place with pins set into a lace pillow. Take a look at the fine lacework- at the time, even the clothing of infants and small children often featured beautiful, delicate lacework. A piece of clothing like this would be passed down and reused over multiple generations of children.

Doll's Tea Set

Doll’s teaset (c. early 18th century, France). This porcelain doll’s teaset belonged to Sarah Dickerman Swift of New Haven, Connecticut. It was donated to the Amherst Historical Society in 1975 by her granddaughter, Helen Mitchell.

Paint Set

This 19th century paint set belonged to Mabel Loomis Todd, the woman responsible for editing and publishing the work of Emily Dickinson, as well as an artist and author in her own right. Todd authored books and articles, and travelled around the US on a professional lecture tour giving lectures on a wide range of topics, including Emily Dickinson, New England history, and astronomy. A prolific artist and writer, Todd continued creating and traveling until just shortly before her death. Mabel died in 1932 while camping in Maine..

conch shell

If you lived in what would become Amherst in the 18th century, this conch shell would have called you to the meetinghouse to worship. “Blowing the kunk,” as it was known, was an appointed job in the community, and the man responsible for blowing this kunk also swept out the meetinghouse and received for his troubles $3 a year.

miniature straw hat

This miniature straw hat (c. December 17th, 1907) was created by the Hills Hat Factory in Amherst, MA, as a show piece for display to prospective customers. It is marked with the initials of Fannie Marilla (Davis) Pierce.

Emily Dickinson's dress

This 19th century wrapper is the only surviving dress known to have been worn by Emily Dickinson. After her death, it was passed on to a cousin and later came to the collection of the Amherst Historical Society. Its design is typical for a house dress of the 1870s-1880s; it is almost entirely machine sewn, and was made sturdy to weather frequent washings.

old and new nails

An 18th century rosehead nail from the Simeon Strong House, displayed next to its modern counterpart. As explained by Steve DeWolf, carpenter who specializes in repairing Pioneer Valley historic homes, this nail would have been forged by hand, the head created by striking the metal bar when it was hot. It was pulled from the side of the Strong House during restoration work.

The Amherst History Museum is located at the Simeon Strong House,
67 Amity Street,
Amherst, MA 01002.
The Museum will be open on Saturdays from 11AM to 3PM through October.

Ancestral Bridges promo
Ancestral Bridges promo


Saturday, Oct. 29th, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
67 Amity Street, Amherst
Top-quality outdoor winter gear and clothing priced affordably for adults and children. Fundraiser for the Amherst History Museum.


– Upcoming Events –

Amherst Juneteenth Observance at the Amherst History Museum on Saturday June 18, 2022.

Photo courtesy of Rebecca Fricke


Planes in America

Planes in America

Because of Amherst's connection with the manufacture of carpenters' planes in the 19th century -- see the Nutting and Kellogg planemakers -- I was intrigued by this display, seen on a recent trip to...

read more
Historic apple tree knocked down

Historic apple tree knocked down

Over the weekend, our 100-year-old apple tree was knocked over by a gust of wind, onto the Strong House. We are lucky there was no great damage to the Museum building – the branches only knocked out...

read more

The AHS Bookstore

Help support the Amherst Historical Society! Shop our online store for books that highlight the history of Amherst. Titles include:

  • Amherst A to Z by Elizabeth M. Sharpe
  • Amherst and Hadley Through the Seasons by Daniel Lombardi
  • Harvesting History by Sheila Rainford and Ruth Owen Jones
  • History of the Black Population of Amherst 1728-1870 by James Avery Smith
  • The Letters of Lathrop & Pomeroy by Lucy Whitelaw Rexford
  • The Writing Master, by Kitty Burns Florey

Become a volunteer

Find out how you can help. The Amherst Historical Society depends on the support of the community. We are currently looking for gardeners, educators, fundraisers, and more. Contact us for more information.

‘History Bites’–Highlights from past seasons

spiritualism gathering

19th Century Spiritualism

Robert Cox – Director of Special Collections at UMass

Dec. 21, 2018

Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards and the Gospel of Love

Ronald Story

 Sept 25, 2015

Town sign Arkham

From Arkham to Amherst

George Naughton

April 21, 2017