History of Mount Toby Friends meeting
April 22 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
The first recorded monthly meeting in the ancestry of Mt. Toby was the Northampton Meeting, which organized as an independent Meeting under the Friends Fellowship Council in Philadelphia in 1939. There had been other occasional worship groups of Friends in the Valley – in Amherst in 1924 and in Northfield in the 1930’s – but it was the initiative of a European couple who came to Smith College that led to the formal organization. The new monthly meeting was called the Middle Connecticut Valley Monthly Meeting because it was in the middle of the Connecticut Valley Quarterly Meeting. A meeting in Amherst was revived by Francis and Becky Holmes when they came to the University of Massachusetts in 1954. In 1964 the meeting moved to their current location in Leverett.
This lecture will take place at noon, in the Woodbury Room of the Jones Library.