Exhibits

Current Exhibits at the Amherst History Museum

The Amherst History Museum opened in 1916 and is governed by the Amherst Historical Society, which was founded in 1899. The museum is housed in the 1750-era Simeon Strong House, located at 67 Amity Street in Amherst, Massachusetts. We are currently closed but hope to be open to the public very soon! Please explore these posts about some of our current and past exhibits.

The Dairy Industry and Amherst’s Past

The Dairy Industry and Amherst’s Past

June is National Dairy Month! Amherst’s logo, ‘The Book and Plow’, may not do justice to the town’s history of dairy farming. According to Carpenter and Morehouse’s History of the Town of Amherst (p 285), “The dairy industry in Amherst attained prominence at an early...

It’s Official! Weights & Measures

It’s Official! Weights & Measures

Introducing our most recent addition to the collection: the official cabinet of weights and measures used by the Town of Amherst beginning about 1900. Today, we are assured that a gallon is exactly that when we purchase gasoline–the pump bears the official seal of the...

The Spectacular Mabel Loomis Todd

The Spectacular Mabel Loomis Todd

What do you know about Mabel Loomis Todd? For the majority of those who know her name, she is primarily associated with Amherst as the editor of Emily Dickinson’s poems and letters and her long-term relationship with Emily’s brother Austin. While true to fact, these...

Past  Museum Exhibits

Artifacts Inspire

Artifacts Inspire

An Exhibition of Work by Fiber Artists of Western Massachusetts In May 2015 the Amherst Historical Society and Museum invited the nine members of Fiber Artists of Western MA to tour the collection and create pieces that reflected their curiosity about and fascination...

Mabel Loomis Todd in the World

Mabel Loomis Todd in the World

By Julie Dobrow To the extent that she is remembered today, Mabel Loomis Todd (1856-1932) is mostly remembered either as the first editor of Emily Dickinson’s poetry, or as the woman who had a lengthy affair with Emily’s older brother, Austin. But Mabel led a full,...

Heath Connections – The Emersons of Amity Street

Heath Connections – The Emersons of Amity Street

Sally, John, Felicia, Frances, Alma and Laura These are the names of the Emerson family members who came to live in Amherst in January 1846. They moved here from Heath, Massachusetts and after 1853 the family lived in the Simeon Strong House. Heath is located 17 miles...