‘History Bites’ Lunchtime Lecture Series
‘History Bites’ is back!
‘History Bites’ is a series of thirty minute lectures to inform and entertain, covering various aspects of the history of Amherst, its surrounding environs, and the lives of those who once lived here. The Amherst Historical Society started this popular series in 2014 and we are fortunate to have archived video of lectures dating back to 2015.
All lectures start at noon and will take place over Zoom because of mask mandates from the town of Amherst due to COVID concerns.
Susan Ashman, a park ranger at the Springfield Armory, will share her process of historical discovery. Starting with only a Civil War-era rifle, and the name R H Weakley carved on the stock, she was able to unravel the story of the man behind the name.
After the success of the Erie Canal, canals were proposed in many areas of the young United States. Robert Madison will share his research with us, regarding the effort to build a canal from Northampton to New Haven. Begun in 1822 and completed in 1835, the canal only operated until 1847, when it was rendered obsolete by the railroad.
The town of Pelham is located just east of Amherst. It is known for being the home of Daniel Shays, and for losing a portion of its land to the Quabbin Reservoir in the 1930s. It is also the home of the longest continually-used meeting house in the United States.
Mabel Loomis Todd was married to the Amherst College astronomer, David Peck Todd, and lived in Amherst from 1881 to 1917. She was a world traveler, author, and editor, who, along with Thomas Wentworth Higginson, was responsible for bringing the poetry of Emily Dickinson into print.