Updates

Updates from the Amherst Historical Society & Museum

Crystal Products of the Frost King

Crystal Products of the Frost King

Join us on Sunday, January 28, from 4 to 5 PM at the Munson Library in South Amherst for this free and informative event, as part of Winterfest in Amherst, MA! The commercial harvesting of ice from New England’s ponds and lakes for export began in the first decade of the 19th century.

read more
Thanksgiving Day

Thanksgiving Day

Thanksgiving Day in the United States may trace its origins back to the English Harvest Festival of Thanksgiving, and it retains many of the trappings of a harvest festival, even though it is now observed well after the fall harvest is in.

read more
Lost Towns of the Swift River Valley

Lost Towns of the Swift River Valley

When the four Quabbin towns were disincorporated in April of 1938 it was more than just a legal decision. Families which had lived in the towns for generations were forced to move, separating from friends, neighbors and relatives. Local author Elena Palladino lives in...

read more
Origins of Public Libraries in New England

Origins of Public Libraries in New England

Local author Thomas Johnson, Jr, will talk about his recent book, Common PLACE: The Public Library, Civil Society and Early American Values. 'The book explores who created America's first public libraries and why they did so, and how these reasons reflected many of...

read more
Lydia Maria Child – A Radical American Life

Lydia Maria Child – A Radical American Life

Best known today for the poem “Over the River and through the Wood,” Lydia Maria Child first became famous for peppy household self-help books and charming children’s stories. But in 1833, at age 31, Child shocked her readers by publishing the first book-length...

read more
History of Tan Brook on Sept 22

History of Tan Brook on Sept 22

Tan Brook is a little-known stream that flows right under Triangle Street and Kendrick Park. It originates from the small lake next to Wildwood Cemetery, and emerges at McClellan Street with a quiet babbling sound from the culverts that have carried it off and on...

read more
History of the Wachusett Reservoir

History of the Wachusett Reservoir

In 1897, the Nashua River above the town of Clinton, Mass was impounded by the Wachusett Dam; 4,380 acres were flooded in the towns of Boylston, West Boylston, Clinton, and Sterling. Work was completed in 1905 and the reservoir first filled in May 1908. At the time of...

read more
Planes in America

Planes in America

Because of Amherst's connection with the manufacture of carpenters' planes in the 19th century -- see the Nutting and Kellogg planemakers -- I was intrigued by this display, seen on a recent trip to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia: ‘While tradesmen relied heavily on...

read more
Historic apple tree knocked down

Historic apple tree knocked down

Over the weekend, our 100-year-old apple tree was knocked over by a gust of wind, onto the Strong House. We are lucky there was no great damage to the Museum building – the branches only knocked out one window. And our intrepid Building and Grounds Committee has been...

read more